5 Tips to Stick to Your Diet During the Holidays
The toughest part for many people about trying to eat healthy is feeling deprived at social gatherings, especially during the holidays. Sure, you could always stay home and eat a salad, but let’s face it, who wants to give up their social life in the quest for an award-winning physique? That said, you don’t want to pile on a ton of extra pounds the last two weeks of the year if you can avoid it, right? Fear not, clean eater! Here are…
5 Tips to Stick to Your Diet at Parties
- Get your head clear about your motivation. If you have a medical condition (like diabetes) that puts you in danger if you binge, then you have to stick to your diet otherwise you could really hurt yourself. If you are going to be standing on stage in a bikini in 9 weeks, that’s pretty darn motivating too. Heck, maybe you just want to make a bet with your friend that you can avoid chips all night so you can win $20. Whatever your motivation, the stronger it is, the easier to follow your meal plan.
- Eat before you go to the party. You will be less likely to snack on salty chips and high-calorie alcoholic beverages. Make a concerted effort to avoid cocktails with soda or juice mixers and glass rims dipped in sugar. One drink can easily be 500 calories.
- Pack your own food. I used to feel weird about this until last year when I started telling people that I was in a bodybuilding competition and had to follow my plan. Not only did people think it was cool I was so dedicated, they also began asking me questions about how they could eat better too. When you are eating healthy you are also giving other people permission to eat healthy too without feeling weird about it. If I’m not in the mood to bring Tupperware with chicken and rice, I’ll at least bring a protein shake, because it’s less hassle and a good conversation starter.
- Don’t stand near the food table. Out of sight, out of mind. Plus, you’re at the party to enjoy the company, not the cheese sticks, right?
- Hold a bottle of water. Sometimes when you think you are hungry, you’re really thirsty. So drink water throughout the party and avoid hunger and thirst pangs entirely. Plus if you are holding water it makes it all the more difficult to also hold a cookie. Just sayin’.
If you slip up and have a glass of wine or cheese and crackers, stop what you’re doing, go sit down and really pay attention to what you’re eating. Don’t beat yourself up; savor your cheat. Enjoy it, taste it, focus on it. Now go back to step #1 and remind yourself why you want to eat healthy. One little cheat does not give you free reign to binge the rest of the party. Get back on track and enjoy the party. You can do it!
Want to Train with Me?
Local to Austin/Round Rock/Pflugerville? Email me – email@example.com. I offer personal training sessions at a private gym: 5 sessions/$250. That includes a customized suggested meal plan. Spaces limited!
If you are interested in signing up for my online personal training programs, click here to order now: SLI Method. Monthly online training is $125/mo. and includes a customized suggested meal plan plus weekly workouts to do on your own based on the equipment available to you.
Lisa Traugott is a Mom’s Choice Award winning writer, published author, fitness blogger, wife and mom of two….and Original Cast Member of AMERICAN GRIT, starring John Cena, on FOX!
ShesLosingIt.com (c) 2012-2017 Lisa Traugott. All rights reserved. No portion of this blog, including any text, photographs, video, and artwork, may be reproduced or copied without written permission.