Low-Cal Baked Apples Recipe
Thanksgiving is fast approaching and one of my goals for the month is to come up with healthy recipes for the big day. Which brings me to my favorite subject: dessert.
I don’t eat pie very often. Come to think of it I only really eat pie on Thanksgiving. But here’s my dilemma…my husband and kids love pumpkin pie and I’m the only one who likes apple pie. Seriously, they won’t even eat one slice of apple pie. I tried to tell them it that it was their patriotic duty to like apple pie but they weren’t buying what I was selling and I’m not going to eat an entire pie by myself. So I settled on making baked apples.
It still has the yummy goodness of warm apples but with a lot fewer calories because it ditches the pie crust and considerably reduces the sugar and fat found in a lot of other baked apple recipes.
Baked Apples Recipe
- 4 large baking apples, such as Granny Smith or Jonagolds
- 1/4 cup Splenda
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- 24 walnuts (6 per apple)
- 1 TBSP butter spray (like I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F
- Cut out apple cores leaving the bottom 1/2 inch and put in baking dish
- Mix Splenda, cinnamon, diced walnuts and butter spray in a bowl. Put the mixture into each apple.
- Pour the boiling water at the bottom of the baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Serve with 1 TBSP vanilla Greek yogurt on top
Buy My Book here: She’s Losing It!
Lisa Traugott is a Mom’s Choice Award winning writer, published author, fitness blogger, wife and mom of two….and Original Cast Member of AMERICAN GRIT, starring John Cena, on FOX!
ShesLosingIt.com (c) 2012-2017 Lisa Traugott. All rights reserved. No portion of this blog, including any text, photographs, video, and artwork, may be reproduced or copied without written permission.