How To Stick to Your Meal Plan on Vacation
What’s the most important thing in comedy? I don’t- TIMING. What’s the most important part of show prep for a bodybuilding competition? FOOD.
And in case there was any question about the importance of food thing, there was this cryptic text from my trainer (in all caps):
EAT RIGHT. TIME IS LIMITED.
So it was a bit of a comedy of errors for us to take a family vacation to Disneyland when I am only five (5) weeks away from my next competition. But I am up for the challenge!
Planning was essential in a situation like this. The criteria:
- Must be healthy mix of protein, carbs and fats and vegetables
- Must be portable
- Must be able to stay fresh during a 22 hour drive and 1 week visit
Here’s what I packed:
- Turkey and veggie meatballs
- Hard boiled eggs
- Egg whites
- Protein powder
Carbs (with some protein too)
- Quest Bars
- Greek yogurt (80 calorie serving)
- Plain rice cakes
- Baggies of brown rice
- Baggies of sweet potatoes
- Peanut butter
- Whole roasted almonds
- Green beans (steamed)
- Raw spinach
- (Also red and green peppers and onions were cooked into turkey meatballs)
- Reduced-sugar ketchup
- I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray
- Packets of Stevia
- Packets of sugar-free vanilla creamer
- Shaker bottle (for protein shakes)
- Insulated bag for my immediate foods
- Giant bag (matching patter, ’cause I’m like that) for kid snacks and my dry foods
Vacation cheat meals
- Once a day I’ll eat a small portion of restaurant food with my family. I just need to make good choices and no dessert.
You know, every time someone cheats on her meal plan, a fairy dies. Let’s keep the fairies alive.
The following pre-packed foods did not survive:
- Spinach. It wilted and got STINKY!
- Ditto for the baggies of brown rice and sweet potatoes
- The cooked green beans lasted for as long as the ice did, but once that melted the greens turned yellowish-nasty
Everything else survived. Yay! It helped that there is a refrigerator at the hotel.
It’s five days into the vacation, and so far so good. While my kids ate cotton candy, I had turkey meatballs. While my kids (and husband) ate ice cream, I had Greek yogurt. The Quest Bars, almonds and apples helped a lot.
Only one fairy bit the pixie dust during this trip so far. (My husband bought a giant hot fudge sundae with three flavors of ice cream, whip cream, and two chocolate chip cookies…I ate the cookies. Sorry, fairies.
Lisa Traugott is a Mom’s Choice Award winning writer, fitness blogger, wife and mom of two. Her book, “She’s Losing It!” is available at Amazon.com.
ShesLosingIt.com (c) 2015 Lisa Traugott. All rights reserved. No portion of this blog, including any text, photographs, video, and artwork, may be reproduced or copied without written permission.