Personalized Weight Loss Options – BMI of Texas
Quick note – Some of you have asked me about weight loss surgery, which I have not done. So, to answer your general questions, BMI of Texas is doing a guest blog post today. The article was written by them and expresses their opinions; I have received no payment for this guest post and hope it provides you with useful information. – Lisa
Personalized Weight Loss and Results with BMI of Texas
Some people want to lose a few pounds while others are hoping to shed hundreds. Everyone has different long-term health and wellness goals; that’s why you need personalized weight loss services to see results. At BMI of Texas, we target each patient’s individual reasons for weight gain, such as nutritional and exercise deficiencies. We have dedicated expert dieticians and certified weight loss surgeons to help our patients overcome their weight loss obstacles.
Poor diet and inactivity is a leading cause of death in the U.S. According to the Center for Science in the Public Interest, 61 percent of Americans are overweight or obese, and 310,000 to 580,000 deaths each year are caused by unhealthy eating and lack of exercise.
A strong nutritional foundation is the key to any weight management approach. Whether you’re looking for weight loss doctors in San Antonio or you’re planning to lose weight without surgery, a proper nutrition program should be at the heart of your efforts.
At BMI of Texas, we make our patients’ health a priority. We help you successfully shed the pounds with a weight loss plan and customizable diet program that works best for you. We work with everyone from early childhood to late adulthood, and our weight loss experts are on call to ensure your long-term success. It’s never too early or too late to take your health into your own hands with proper nutrition.
We help patients create custom exercise routines, whether their intention is to prepare for weight loss surgery or simply to make a healthy lifestyle change. Our fitness center at the Foundation Surgical Hospital in San Antonio caters to anyone trying to lose weight, but we specialize in bariatric patients.
Our center is especially helpful for patients who have undergone weight loss surgery because staff members are trained in bariatric exercise medicine and offer physical fitness assessments upon request. You can also speak with a weight loss expert about metabolic testing. This is done on-site to help you identify your ideal exercise zone for the most efficient workouts possible. There’s no other facility like it in Texas!
Who is a Good Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?
If you are considering weight loss surgery, our weight loss surgeons can help to identify whether or not you qualify. You are most likely a good candidate if you meet the following criteria:
- You are 18 years of age or older.
- You are medically fit for surgery.
- Your body mass index (BMI) is 40 or higher. For men, this means you are about 100 pounds overweight. For women, you are about 80 pounds overweight.
- You have a serious obesity-related health problem, such as type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, coronary artery disease, hypertension or acid reflux.
- You are willing to commit to lifetime follow-up visits, taking vitamin supplements and making healthy lifestyle changes.
You are likely not a candidate at this time if any of the following describes you:
- You smoke cigarettes. You must quit at least six weeks prior to your surgery and live a smoke-free lifestyle following the procedure.
- You drink alcohol in excess. Limiting your alcohol consumption is important to curb weight gain, maintain a healthy liver and reduce the chance of complications from weight loss surgery.
- You have a psychiatric disorder or issue with substance abuse. Conditions such as depression, anxiety, binge-eating and drug use need to be appropriately managed or treated before you undergo your procedure.
To learn more about our unique and effective weight loss options, please contact BMI of Texas.