Don’t Let Candy Crush Your Diet – 6 Tips!
October is a dangerous month for anyone with a sweet tooth (Note: Both of my hands are raised in the air.) Usually I am preparing for the last bikini competition of the season, rending the month particularly torturous, but this year I’m taking a break from competitions, so I can breath a little easier.
That said, Halloween candy calories really add up quickly, so here are some tips for pre and post Halloween to get you through the month still being able to fit into your costume.
3 Tips for Dealing with Pre-Halloween Candy
- Don’t give out candy! You can give out pencils and stickers, which is great for kids with food allergies and keeps you healthy. But if you must buy candy for tradition’s sake…
- Buy candy the very last minute. Let’s face it, if it’s in your house you’ll be tempted to eat it. Unless…
- Buy candy you don’t like to eat. I could be starving and sitting next to a crate of Twizzlers and I still wouldn’t want them. But Kit Kat bars? OMG my kids didn’t even know they existed until they were four years old because I’d steal it from their candy bowls before they even tasted one. (Yeah, I’m that mom.)
3 Tips for Dealing with Post-Halloween Candy
- Enjoy several treats in one sitting and then have the kids brush their teeth. Eating a piece or two every hour without brushing can lead to acid build up on their enamel, which can cause cavities.
- Move the candy out of sight. Chocolate just sitting on the kitchen table is begging to be eaten. Out of sight out of mind.
- After a weekend of munching, get rid of the candy! Last year we participated in the HalloweenCandyBuyBack program and plan to do it again this year. Here’s how it works: Your kids bring in their candy to a participating dentist. The dentist pays them something nominal, like $1 per pound of candy. The candy then gets donated to soldiers abroad. So everyone wins.
Hope these tips help! Also, I’m running an October Special – Buy 5 personal training sessions, get 1 Free! Offer expires 10/31/17. Local to Austin? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in signing up for my online personal training programs, click here to order now: SLI Method.
Lisa Traugott is a Mom’s Choice Award winning writer, published author, fitness blogger, wife and mom of two….and Original Cast Member of AMERICAN GRIT, starring John Cena, on FOX!
ShesLosingIt.com (c) 2012-2017 Lisa Traugott. All rights reserved. No portion of this blog, including any text, photographs, video, and artwork, may be reproduced or copied without written permission.