The Day My Hair Turned Green
A few weeks ago, I was nominated for a Liebster Award by My Pursuit of Happiness and Skinny Jeans. This is an award for up-and-coming bloggers to encourage them to continue. So first of all, thanks for nominating me – it is encouraging 🙂 Here’s what I have to do: Post 11 facts about myself, answer 11 questions from the person who nominated me and nominate new bloggers.
11 Facts About Myself: HAIR EDITION
The summer before college my blonde hair came part way down my back. I would wait at the local Wawa (it’s Jersey’s answer to 7-11) for my friends to pick me up for Summer Shakespeare at McCarter Theatre and the construction workers would say, “Hey, Blondie!” and then make some stupid catcall.
- Day 1 – I had to dye my hair black to play Phoebe in Love’s Labours’ Lost. I looked very Irish and the contrast of black hair and pale skin made my eyes look bluer than I ever could have imagined. My mother didn’t recognize me with black hair; neither did I. The first morning I went into the bathroom I jumped back when I saw a dark haired girl looking at me in the mirror.
- Day 2 – At Wawa the next day I got more stares from the construction workers, but no one made any catcalls. It was interesting to me that nothing changed but the color of my hair and suddenly they became more respectful.
Day 3 – Oh no! My hair turned GREEN! I called the Ms. Clariol Hotline but there was nothing they could do.
- Day 4 – Adults shook their head at me as I walked through Princeton. They thought my green hair was a stupid attempt to garnish my look and gather attention. Feeling their disapproval made me want to explain, “This was an accident!”
- Day 5 – I can’t take people not liking me, so I tightly wound up all my hair and covered it with a bandana. On that day I had to take the train into Princeton. People adverted their eyes from me. ‘Why are they doing this?’ I wondered, feeling even more self conscious. Then I overheard a conversation: “Mommy, look at the bald girl!” “Don’t stare, honey, she has cancer.” Oh my God!
- Day 7 – My mother takes me to the hair salon. They move me to the back so customers won’t think they were the ones who messed up my hair. I’m there for seven hours. They try to strip it and re-dye it but it ends up looking like a rat’s nest, so they cut it off. There is barely an inch of hair on my head and what is there is now brown. It’s odd, but I feel naked; vulnerable.
- Day 9 – The construction workers say nothing. They think I am a lesbian.
- Day 10 – Construction workers might be ignoring me now but suddenly my boss at my night job thinks I’m management material. He gives me an employee award. He has never said more than two words to me in the past. I can’t help but wonder if my hair had something to do with it?
- Never in a million years would I have thought that something as silly and superficial as hair could impact the way others treated me.
- Never in a million years will I dye my hair black again.
11 Question I have to answer from My Pursuit of Happiness and Skinny Jeans
- Why did you start blogging? See the story here: Why I Started Blogging
- What is your favourite snack? Hmm. I can’t snack right now; my show is in 19 days. In the off season though I love popcorn.
- What is your favourite season of the year and why? Springtime! Everything is new and full of possibilities.
- Best book you have read lately? I’m reading Craig Ferguson‘s autobiography and LMAO.
- Cats or Dogs? I’m allergic to cats and dogs have bad breath, so I guess I’ll stick with kids.
- What’s the scariest thing you have ever done? ENTERED A BIKINI COMPETITION!!!
- Do you own a pair of Crocs? No way, man!
- iPhone, Blackberry, or Android? I have a cheap phone from Walmart. It is sad. I’ve asked Santa for an iPhone.
- Favourite brand of running shoe? Brooks
- What is your biggest accomplishment? I helped to raise $100,000 for cancer research.
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? We plan to travel around the world. We have no idea how we are going to pay for this. That never stopped us before.
Bloggers I nominate:
My 11 Questions for You to Answer:
- How did you get interested in your favorite sport?
- If you saw your friend about to quit, what would you say to her?
- Truth or Dare?
- If there was a fight between Superman and Mighty Mouse who would you root for?
- Why did you start blogging?
- What are your goals for next year?
- If you could choose between never having to sleep or being able to read people’s minds, which would you choose and why?
- What is your favorite TV show?
- What is the very coolest thing you did between the ages of 7 and 14?
- Which exercise gives the best result?
- Do you have any superstitions before a big game/event?
Thanks again for the nomination and happy blogging to my nominees!
Sheslosingit.net (c) 2012 Lisa Traugott. All rights reserved. No portion of this blog, including any text, photographs, and artwork, may be reproduced or copied without written permission.